Warts are growths on the skin that are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus. They are unsightly and many people often opt to have them removed. There are different kinds of warts depending on where they are located on the body. They are non cancerous and can often look like the color of the person’s skin; however, they can sometimes be darker or lighter than the rest of the skin. Generally, warts are not painful but ones on the feet have been reported to be accompanied by pain.
Types of warts
- Common warts- these are warts that are commonly located on the hands and fingers.
- Foot warts/plantar warts- these are warts that are found on the feet and the soles of the feet.
- Genital warts- these are warts that are located around the genitals.
- Flat warts- these are the kind of warts that grow in numbers and have a flatter appearance as compared to the others. These warts can appear anywhere on the body.
- Mosaic warts- these are characteristic of one main wart growing with several smaller warts surrounding it.
Warts are contagious and can be spread from one person to the other through touching. Warts can also be spread through one person using personal items that have been used by a person who has warts. Genital warts are can be transmitted from one person another through sexual acts. It has also been proven that genital warts in the cervix can often grow undetected and a woman can pass it on to her partner without both of them knowing it.
It is also possible for one wart to spread and cause other warts in different parts of the body. Some warts are known to heal by themselves with time but it is also important to note that if you are looking to heal warts completely, it is required that one undergoes treatment as warts are recurrent.
Depending on the type of wart it is, there are varying rates of the warts spreading. Plantar warts are the most common warts known to spread. Most of the treatment available for warts can eradicate them completely, but not all of them work 100%.
One way of preventing warts is by wearing shoes when in a communal gym and gloves when handling any communal items. These are things that you can easily help in the spreading of warts.