Warts are growths that are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus and can be easily spread from one person to another. They mostly occur on the hands and face but are also known to occur in the genital region and on the feet. There are different types of warts depending on where they are located such as plantar warts which are found on the feet and common warts which are found on the fingers and hands.
Warts are very contagious and can easily be passed on from one person to another through touching, sexual intercourse or even the sharing of communal items. For this reason, a lot of people often wonder if it is possible to prevent the spread of warts, considering that it is so easy to do so.
It is possible to curb the spread of warts from one person to another. Below are some tips that can help in preventing the spread of warts.
- Avoid sharing socks or shoes with a person you know has warts on their feet. The warts can easily be removed but they are recurrent and more often than not grow back. Also if you are exposed to a wart and want to remove it, it is advised that you do so with gloves on your hands.
- If you have discovered warts on your body, it is advised that you avoid scratching or even biting them. This can be the first impulse in a bid to remove them; however this will only facilitate their spread to the rest of the body through the mouth and fingernails.
- If you use a communal gym and its showers, it is important that you wear sandals at all times and this is because you can easily step on places that a person who has warts has stepped on and the infection can spread to you. The same should be done while you are walking around swimming pools.
- If you happen to come into contact with a wart, it is advised that you wash your hands immediately using a lot of water and a disinfectant. This should be done thoroughly.
- If you know of someone who has warts, avoid using their personal items. Stay away from things such as combs, towels and clothing items because it is very easy to get warts from them.
- For sexual prevention, condoms are one way of preventing the spread of genital warts though they are not the most effective method.